A horrifying night for a south city couple after they find their two-year-old son hanging from a window blind cord.
Investigators say the toddler died after he climbed up into the windows of his bedroom in their home off Water Street in south city and got tangled up in a long nylon cord from the window blinds.
The boy’s mother found him hanging several feet off the ground with the cord around his neck. Police do not know how long the child had been there.
Police say the husband tried to perform CPR until EMS crews arrived. The toddler was pronounced dead at Cardinal Glennon Children’s Medical Center. This happened Monday night around 7:45.
The parents were not taken into custody. Police are calling it a tragic accident.
Consumers who have window blinds with loops should immediately visit the Window Covering Safety Council website, Windowcoverings.org, or call 800-506-4636 to receive a free repair kit for each set of blinds.
Read more about Window Cord Safety and accident prevention.
Order a free Window Cord Safety Kit