Click for St. Louis, Missouri Forecast

// a href = ./ // St Louis News, Weather, Sports, The Big 550 AM, St Louis Traffic, Breaking News in St Louis

 
 
 
KTRS News

KTRS News

BOSTON POLICE SAFELY BLOW UP SUSPICIOUS BACKPACKS

Wednesday, 16 April 2014 06:47 Published in National News

BOSTON (AP) — Survivors, first responders and relatives of those killed in the Boston Marathon bombing marked the anniversary Tuesday with tributes that combined sorrow over the loss of innocent victims with pride over the city's resilience in the face of a terror attack.

"This day will always be hard, but this place will always be strong," former Mayor Thomas Menino told an invitation-only audience of about 2,500 people at the Hynes Convention Center, not far from the finish line, where two pressure cooker bombs hidden in backpacks killed three people and injured more than 260 others a year ago.

Vice President Joe Biden, who attended the ceremony, said the courage shown by survivors and those who lost loved ones is an inspiration for other Americans dealing with loss and tragedy.

"You have become the face of America's resolve," he said.

Biden also praised the 36,000 runners who plan to run the marathon next week, saying they will send a message to terrorists.

"America will never, ever, ever stand down," he said, to loud applause. He added, "We own the finish line."

In the evening, after the tributes were over and most people had left, a man behaving suspiciously near the finish line dropped a backpack containing a rice cooker, police said. The man, who walked barefoot in a street in pouring rain, was taken into custody and was being charged with possession of a hoax device and disturbing the peace, Police Superintendent Randall Halstead said.

The backpack was blown up by the bomb squad as a precaution as was a second unattended backpack found nearby, police said, and no injuries were reported. Halstead didn't release the identity of the man in custody and wouldn't say what was in the second backpack or who owned it.

In Washington, President Barack Obama observed the anniversary of last year's deadly marathon attack with a private moment of silence at the White House.

"Today, we recognize the incredible courage and leadership of so many Bostonians in the wake of unspeakable tragedy," Obama said in a statement. "And we offer our deepest gratitude to the courageous firefighters, police officers, medical professionals, runners and spectators who, in an instant, displayed the spirit Boston was built on — perseverance, freedom and love."

Obama said this year's race, scheduled for April 21, will "show the world the meaning of Boston Strong as a city chooses to run again."

Authorities say two ethnic Chechen brothers who lived in the former Soviet republic of Kyrgyzstan and the Dagestan region of Russia planned and orchestrated the marathon bombings on April 15, 2013.

Tamerlan Tsarnaev, 26, died following a shootout with police days after the bombings. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 20, has pleaded not guilty to federal charges and is awaiting a trial in which he faces a possible death sentence. Prosecutors say the brothers also killed MIT police Officer Sean Collier days after the bombings in an attempt to steal his gun.

Prosecutors have said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev left a hand-scrawled confession condemning U.S. actions in Muslim countries on the inside wall of a boat in which he was found hiding following the police shootout.

At the tribute, several survivors of the bombing alluded to their injuries but focused on the strength they've drawn from fellow survivors, first responders, doctors, nurses and strangers who have offered them support.

"We should never have met this way, but we are so grateful for each other," said Patrick Downes, a newlywed who was injured along with his wife. Each lost a left leg below the knee in the bombings.

Downes described Boston Strong, the slogan coined after the attack, as a movement that symbolizes the city's determination to recover. He called the people who died "our guardian angels."

"We will carry them in our hearts," he said.

Downes said the city on April 21 will "show the world what Boston represents." He added, "For our guardian angels, let them hear us roar."

Adrianne Haslet-Davis, a ballroom dancer who lost her left leg below the knee and has recently returned to performing on a prosthetic leg, said she's learned over the last year that no milestone is too small to celebrate, including walking into a non-handicapped bathroom stall for the first time and "doing a happy dance."

Gov. Deval Patrick spoke of how the attack has drawn people closer.

"There are no strangers here," he repeated throughout his speech.

Carlos Arredondo, the cowboy hat-wearing spectator who was hailed as a hero for helping the wounded after the bombings, said he went to the tribute ceremony to support survivors and their families.

"You can see how the whole community gathered together to support them and remember," Arredondo said.

After the tributes, many of those in attendance walked in the rain to the finish line for a moment of silence that coincided with the time when the bombs went off. Bells rang, and a flag was raised by transit agency police Officer Richard Donohue, who was badly injured during a shootout with the bombing suspects.

Earlier in the day, a wreath-laying ceremony drew the families of the three people killed last year — Martin Richard, Krystle Campbell and Lu Lingzi — and Collier's relatives.

___

Associated Press writer Philip Marcelo contributed to this report.

Cards pitching shuts down Brewers again 6-1

Tuesday, 15 April 2014 23:12 Published in Sports
MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Shelby Miller struck out seven and allowed three hits over six innings, and Mark Ellis had two RBIs in his return from the disabled list to lead the St. Louis Cardinals to a 6-1 win Tuesday night over the Milwaukee Brewers.
 
Matt Holliday and Jhonny Peralta each hit solo shots in the ninth off reliever Jim Henderson for the Cardinals, who handed Milwaukee its second straight loss following a nine-game winning streak.
 
Miller (1-2) routinely fired fastballs clocked into the mid-90s past hitters before turning the game over to the bullpen in the seventh.
 
Only Aramis Ramirez managed to break through off Miller hitting a solo homer in the fourth. The Brewers have just one run and six hits over the first two games of the three-game set with their NL Central rival.
 
Marco Estrada (1-1) took the loss after allowing three runs over six innings.
 
The right-hander, who was off to a good start with a 2.31 ERA entering Tuesday, had a little uncharacteristic trouble with his command. He hit Yadier Molina with a pitch in the second and threw a wild pitch in the fourth.
 
Still, Estrada allowed just five hits, which would have been more than adequate pitching during the Brewers' long winning streak.
 
But that was before Milwaukee had to face the aces from St. Louis.
 
On Monday night, Lance Lynn shut down the Brewers, striking out 11 over seven innings. Miller was just as effective. He got Jean Segura to ground out to second and caught Ryan Braun looking on a 94 mph fastball to start the fourth.
 
The only big mistake was a fastball down the middle of the plate that Ramirez turned on for his second homer and team-best 12th RBI.
 
Miller, a 23-year-old righty, recovered nicely to end the fourth by getting Jonathan Lucroy to hit a one-hopper to first.
 
The Cardinals had built a 3-0 lead by the top of the fourth to back Miller. After missing the season's first 13 games with left knee tendinitis, Ellis made a nice debut by driving in a run in the second on a groundout, and another in the fourth off a sacrifice fly.
St. Louis could have picked up a few more runs if not for a few blunders around the bases.
 
Allen Craig had an RBI double in the third but the inning ended after Estrada spun around to successfully pick him off. An inning later, both Matt Adams and Peralta were thrown out in rundowns in between third and home.
 
NOTES: Kolten Wong had started 12 of the team's first 13 games at second until Ellis rejoined the club. Manager Mike Matheny said he didn't necessarily have a plan on how he would split playing time. "We just watch how he's going, watch how Kolten's going," Matheny said. "Realize that we have a very, very good option there at second base and just kind of take it day by day." ... The Cardinals were 8-1 on Tax Day since 2005 entering Tuesday's game. ... Brewers manager Ron Roenicke managed his 500th career game to become the sixth skipper in franchise history to reach that plateau with the organization. ... The teams wrap up the three-game set with a Wednesday matinee. The Cardinals' Joe Kelly (1-0) will be opposed by the Brewers' Wily Peralta (1-0) on the mound.

Mizzou Responds To Dowd Bennett Findings

Tuesday, 15 April 2014 10:49 Published in Local News
Columbia, MO -- The Chancellor of the University of Missouri has issued a response to the report issued by the law firm Dowd Bennett regarding how the University handled a sexual assault allegation by a former student-athlete who later committed suicide.
 
R. Bowen Loftin says he accepts the findings which conclude that, though there was no intentional mishandling of the allegation by then-Missouri swimmer Sasha Menu Courey, the University did not follow proper Title IX guidelines in reporting the alleged assault to the campus Title IX coordinator.
 
Title IX guidelines were established by the Office of Civil Rights to advise agencies receiving federal funding how to protect against gender discrimination. The Dowd Bennett report also concluded that the University had not done enough to educate the staff on legal responsibilities as it relates to Title IX compliance.
 
Loftin says the safety, security and health of the students are the most important priorities. The Chancellor also expressed his sympathy to the family and friends of Menu Courey saying "Although nothing will bring her back, we can move forward and honor her memory by making sure that MU is accountable and responsible.
 
Loftin says the University is implementing the plan put forth by President Timothy Wolfe who has directed all four campuses to conduct a comprehensive review of all sexual assault and mental health resources available to students, staff and faculty and then to re-educate them about those resources.
 
In addition, each campus was tasked with reviewing all policies, procedures and training as it relates to sexual assault and mental health.  He says that they are also examining the Office of Student Conduct and how cases involving sexual assault are addressed. 
 
Athletic Director Mike Alden has also created a task force to examine how his department handles student incidents and concerns.

Latest News

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
Prev Next
Health registry could be created under bill on Nixon's desl

Health registry could be created under bill on Nixon's …

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - County officials could compile lists of residents with health problems under a Missouri bill intended to identify people in need of help during disast...

Texas man charged for hitting cyclist while driving dru…

ST. CHARLES, MO (AP) – A Texas man faces second-degree assault charges after allegedly striking a bicyclist while driving drunk.   The St. Louis Post-Dispatch repor...

Rauner skips GOP event over pastor's comments

Rauner skips GOP event over pastor's comments

MOLINE, Ill. (AP) - GOP gubernatorial candidate Bruce Rauner (ROW'-nur) isn't attending a Republican dinner in Moline because he says he disagrees with past statements from a pa...

Mizzou journalism school trying to roll out journalism drones again

Mizzou journalism school trying to roll out journalism …

COLUMBIA, MO (AP) – The University of Missouri journalism school has modified its classroom use of aerial drones as a legal challenge to the FAA ban on commercial use of the fly...

Lawmakers approve changes to Missouri criminal code

Lawmakers approve changes to Missouri criminal code

JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) - Missouri lawmakers gave final approval to the first comprehensive rewrite of the state's criminal laws in decades.   The House and Senate...

Craig Michael Wood pleads not guilty

Craig Michael Wood pleads not guilty

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) - A southwest Missouri youth football coach accused of kidnapping, raping and killing a 10-year-old girl has pleaded not guilty   Forty-six-ye...

© 2013 KTRS All Rights Reserved