As the temperatures drop, the risk of fire rises as many people use space heaters to warm their homes and apartments.
A University City house is the site of the latest fatal fire in the area. Fox2 News reports the victim of Tuesday's blaze was 51-year-old Wardie Neely Jr. who lived in the 6700 block of Plymouth Avenue. Just last week, a St. Louis baby died in a fire caused by a space heater.
University City Assistant Fire Chief, David Crismon, is reminding residents to never leave a space heater near anything that could catch fire. Crismon also says it`s not safe to use an extension cord with space heaters.
The assistant chief believes Neely was on the second floor when curtains caught fire. Investigators said the curtains were directly above a natural gas powered space heater.
Crismon said firefighters did not hear any working smoke detectors when they arrived. Many fire departments, including University City, install smoke detectors for free.