SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Officials say Gov. Pat Quinn's constituent office in Springfield was evacuated after an envelope with a "suspicious substance" was found.
The Governor's Office of Constituent Affairs is located near the state Capitol where lawmakers and others were gathered ahead of an expected pension vote.
Quinn spokeswoman Brooke Anderson says the envelope was received Tuesday, the office was evacuated and necessary precautions were taken.
The Springfield Fire Department, Secretary of State Police and Illinois State Police are investigating the incident.
The agencies did not immediately return calls for comment Tuesday.
CLERMONT, Fla. (AP) — A sinkhole cracked the foundation in a villa housing vacationers at a central Florida resort near Disney World on Sunday, causing the building to slowly sink and prompting the evacuation of the hotel, authorities said.
Lake County Sheriff's Sgt. James Vachon told WESH in Orlando the incident at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont caused structural damage and firefighters and sheriff's deputies were working the scene together. No injuries were reported.
Witnesses told The Associated Press they could hear a cracking sound as the villa sank. A large crack was visible at the building's base.
Luis Perez, who was staying at a villa near the sinking one, said he was in his room when the lights went off around 11:30 p.m. He said he was on his way to the front desk to report the outage when he saw firefighters and police outside.
"I started walking toward where they were at and you could see the building leaning and you could see a big crack at the base of the building," said Perez, 54, of Berona, N.J.
He called the other vacationers in his group and had them come outside. Eventually, he said, authorities evacuated his villa and a third one as well.
Summer Bay Resort is about 10 miles west of Disney World.
ISLAMABAD (AP) — The State Department has warned Americans not to travel to Pakistan and evacuated nonessential government personnel from the country's second largest city because of a specific threat to the consulate there, a U.S. official said Friday.
The move was not related to the threat of an al-Qaida attack that prompted Washington to close temporarily 19 diplomatic posts in the Middle East and Africa.
According to U.S. Embassy spokeswoman Meghan Gregonis, the U.S. is shifting its nonessential staff from the consulate in the eastern Pakistani city of Lahore to the capital, Islamabad.
Emergency personnel will stay in Lahore, and embassy officials do not know when the consulate will reopen, she said.
"We received information regarding a threat to the consulate," said Gregonis. "As a precautionary measure, we are undertaking a drawdown of all except emergency personnel."
The consulate in Lahore was already scheduled to be closed for the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr from Thursday through Sunday.
The personnel drawdown at the Lahore consulate was precautionary and wasn't related to the recent closures of numerous U.S. diplomatic missions in the Muslim world, said two U.S. officials, speaking on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the order.
Earlier this week, 19 U.S. diplomatic outposts in 16 countries in the Middle East and Africa were closed to the public through Saturday and nonessential personnel were evacuated from the U.S. Embassy in Yemen after U.S. intelligence officials said they had intercepted a recent message from al-Qaida's top leader about plans for a major terror attack.
None of the consulates in Pakistan or the U.S. Embassy in Islamabad were affected by the earlier closures.
On Thursday, the State Department issued a travel warning saying the presence of several foreign and indigenous terrorist groups posed a potential danger to U.S. citizens throughout Pakistan.
The country has faced a bloody insurgency by the Pakistani Taliban and their allies in recent years that has killed over 40,000 civilians and security personnel, and is also believed to be home base for al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahiri. Most of the militant attacks have been in the northwest and southwest along the border with Afghanistan.
Gunmen killed six people and wounded 15 others Friday in an attack on a former lawmaker outside a mosque in Quetta, the capital of southwest Baluchistan province, said police officer Bashir Ahmad Barohi. The lawmaker escaped unharmed. A day earlier, a Taliban suicide bomber killed 30 people at a police funeral in Quetta.
Pakistan's major cities, including Lahore, have also experienced periodic attacks.
A powerful bomb exploded at a busy market street in Lahore in early July, killing at least four people and wounding nearly 50.
Lahore is considered Pakistan's cultural capital and has a population of at least 10 million people.
A CIA contractor shot to death two Pakistanis in Lahore in January 2011 who he said were trying to rob him. The incident severely damaged relations between Pakistan and the U.S. The contractor, Raymond Davis, was released by Pakistan in March 2011 after the families of the victims were paid over $2 million.
Associated Press writer Abdul Sattar in Quetta, Pakistan, and Matthew Lee in Washington contributed to this report.
HOLLISTER, Mo. (AP) - Flash flooding is prompting water rescues and damage to buildings in southwest Missouri.
Flash flooding was reported in southern Barry and Stone counties, including Roaring River State Park, after an estimated 6 inches of rain fell early Thursday.
Western Taney County Fire Chief Chris Berndt told KYTV rescue workers have evacuated three areas along Turkey Creek, where waters washed one or two mobile homes downstream. Berndt says several businesses and homes in Hollister have water damage.
The Southern Stone County Fire Protection District reports it has evacuated 22 people from a campground near Blue Eye. Campgrounds in Roaring River State Park in Barry County also are being evacuated. No injuries have been reported.
Interstate 44 near Jerome reopened Thursday. More than 40 roads, mostly in central Missouri, are closed.
St. Charles officials are now urging residents of West Alton to prepare for a possible evacuation. The area is expected to flood, but the severity remains to be seen. Residents should be making plans to secure their homes and property if an evacuation order is necessary.
DEARBORN, Mich. (AP) - Police say a pressure cooker left in a suburban Detroit hotel bathroom that prompted a three-hour evacuation had food inside and posed no threat.
Dearborn police Lt. Douglas Topolski told The Associated Press Tuesday a guest likely used the appliance to bring food to a family event Sunday in the 770-room Adoba Hotel. He says it "doesn't appear that there was a very nefarious intent."
Pressure cookers have gotten attention after two were used in the Boston Marathon bombings.
This month, a Saudi man was arrested at Detroit Metropolitan Airport on charges of lying about why he was traveling with one. The man says he brought it for his nephew, who told AP he wanted it to cook lamb.
Topolski says the cooker at the hotel had a broken handle.
Heavy snow and high winds were considered dangerous by station engineers on its nearby tower. Staff members were cleared from the building around 10am Sunday as a precaution.
This interrupted their coverage of he storm that is blanketing the area.
Crews were working to move cable and telephone lines hit the Ameren gas line along north Main Street, causing gas to build up under the street and in the basement of the nearby apartment complex. Electricity to that building was disconnected as a precaution.
Crews drilled through the sidewalk to reach the break and cap it. Residents were allowed to return home, but had no gas service.
The high school students were moved to the nearby middle school while Crawford County deputies investigate the threat. District officials contacted parents about the incident and no students at the middle school were being released.