Its back up now, but the New York Times website was unavailable for several hours Tuesday after an apparent hack attack. Several people reported being redirected to a Syrian web domain when they tried to access the paper's website.
Marc Frons, chief information officer for The New York Times Company told the paper that the attack was carried out by a group known as "the Syrian Electronic Army, or someone trying very hard to be them." The Syrian Electronic Army is a group of hackers who support President Bashar al-Assad of Syria. The group attacked the company’s domain name registrar, Melbourne IT.
The S.E.A. also hacked the administrative contact information for Twitter’s domain name registry records and then tweeted about it. Twitter reports that the attack affected one image server and that the problem has been corrected.
On August 15, the group attacked The Washington Post’s Web site through a third-party service provided by a company called Outbrain. The S.E.A. also tried to hack CNN and succeeded in disrupting The Financial Times in May.
The NY Times reports that this is the same group that had attacked Twitter accounts for dozens of outlets including The Associated Press. Those attacks caused the stock market to plunge after the group planted false tales of explosions at the White House.
Missouri Attorney General Chris Koster says the drugstore chain Walgreens is overcharging customers on about 20 percent of the items it sells.
Koster has filed a civil lawsuit against the Illinois-based retailer after undercover investigators in his office visited eight stores across the state, including two in the St. Louis area.
Koster says in some cases, the price posted on the shelf was for a sale that had long expired. In other cases, the retailer promised discounted prices for rewards members, then charged the regular price at the checkout.
Koster says anyone who feels they were overcharged, or who witnesses deceptive pricing should call the Missouri Consumer Hotline at 1-800-392-8222 or visit his website.
In response to the lawsuit, Walgreens issued the following statement:
"We have a 112-year history of acting in our customers' best interests, and that will continue to be our focus. While we won't comment on the complaint itself, we were disappointed and disagree with the attorney general's comments. However, we are prepared to have a constructive dialogue about the issues he raised and address any appropriate concerns."
Law enforcement agencies around the St. Louis region are joining forces keep the roads safe during the upcoming "Ride of the Century" motorcycle event.
Hundreds or motorcyclists will converge on the area over Labor Day weekend (Aug. 30-Sep. 1). The Missouri Highway Patrol, St. Louis County Police and police in the City of St. Louis will be working together to crack down on unsafe stunt riding again this year.
In the past, these riders have been known to block traffic, drive erratically, and evade police all while performing dangerous stunts on crowded roads. Last year, more than 2,500 riders converged on the city for the event. Nineteen people were arrested and several riders were injured. In 2011, two riders were killed.