ST. LOUIS (AP) — Authorities say no criminal charges will be filed against the St. Louis woman whose 5-year-old son was found wandering alone late at night with his dog at a grocery store.
Workers at a Schnucks grocery store in south St. Louis found the boy about 11:15 p.m. Thursday. He said his name was Noah, but he didn't know his last name or where he lived. Workers took him in, gave the boy and the dog food, and called police.
Several hours later, on Friday morning, police located the child's mother. She told authorities she was sleeping and didn't know the boy had wandered off.
Police say there will be strict oversight to ensure that the mother and child get help toward what police call a "healthy living environment."
DONIPHAN, Mo. (AP) — Officials with ExxonMobil have repaired an oil pipeline in southeast Missouri, where a leak was discovered earlier this week.
A resident near Doniphan, Mo., found oil leaking in his yard Tuesday. All told, about one barrel — roughly 42 gallons of crude oil — leaked from the Pegasus pipeline. The cause remains under investigation.
The repair was completed Friday.
The pipeline running from Illinois to Texas already was out of service after a much larger breach in Arkansas in March, but that doesn't mean there wasn't oil inside.
About 5,000 barrels of oil spilled in March. The cause of that leak also is being investigated.
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — Gov. Jay Nixon's administration says a Missouri House computer was used in an effort to access a secure website with the list of people who have a concealed weapons permit.
The Office of Administration filed an open records request to determine who did it. Spokeswoman Misti Preston said Friday the user tried unsuccessfully to view the list 23 times.
She says the website was accessed using log-in information that state officials previously provided to a federal agent. That agent told a Senate committee this week he wanted the list of permit holders for an investigation into Social Security fraud.
Preston says the log-in information was made public during the Senate's investigation but the data was removed from the website in March.
Missouri House officials were not immediately available for comment.
Police have released a motive in the slayings that shook the small town of Manchester, Illinois.
Rick Smith shot six people, killing five, on the morning of April 24 at a Manchester home. Investigators now believe Smith planned the attack to resolve a custody battle over his three-year-old daughter. Smith believed the family of the girl's mother was interfering in the couple's custody dispute.
Police have also learned that Smith did not stray more than 25 miles from the crime scene before he started a shootout with police. Smith was killed in that shootout. A six-year-old girl survived the massacre.
A 17-year-old has been charged for shooting and killing a 13-year-old Granite City boy this week.
Police say LaRoyce McFadden started shooting at Clayton Veninga on Wednesday evening. Veninga was hit and died from his wounds.
Police have not released a motive for the shooting, but McFadden faces first degree murder charges.
No suspect is in custody after a victim was gunned down in St. Louis.
41-year-old Terrance Morgan was shot around 5PM yesterday just blocks from the Scott Joplin Historic Court House. Witnesses told officers they saw a black man leaving the scene, but no description has been given. Anyone with information is asked to call CrimeStoppers.
GRANITE CITY, Ill. (AP) - Authorities in southwestern Illinois' Granite City say they've arrested a suspect in the shooting death of a 13-year-old boy.
Granite City Police Maj. Jeff Connor says he believes Clayton Veninga's death Wednesday night was not accidental, though he didn't elaborate on the possible motive or what led police to the suspect.
Connor said he expected to seek charges Friday against the suspect, who Connor said was an acquaintance of the victim and is old enough to be prosecuted as an adult.
Connor has said the boy was sitting on a friend's porch when he was shot. He died later at a hospital.
The parents of a young man who committed suicide four years ago want to hold the St. Louis Archdiocese accountable, so they're suing.
KTRS' Vicki Pimentel report the lawsuit claims an alleged sexual assault of the then 13 year old boy at a seminary camp led to a deep depression and ultimately his suicide at age 21.
The suit names the Archdiocese, Archbishop Robert Carlson and defrocked priest Bryan Kuchar as defendants. David Clohessy of the Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests says the Archdiocese has protected priests like Kuchar for too long. "We think it's irresponsible of church officials to recruit, educate, ordain, hire, train, transfer, shield and protect predator priests and then suddenly cut them loose when the legal and public relations heat becomes too hot."
Kuchar has been at the center of investigations before. He was convicted in 2003 of second degree sodomy of a 14 year old boy.
Some 300 gallons of crude oil has spilled into the Mississippi River in Alton this morning after a vessel ran into a fleeting area near Alton, causing barges to break away.
The U.S. Coast Guard said it happened just before one this morning. 14 barges, two dry docks and two workplats broke away. The Captain of the Port closed the river from mile marker 194 to 198 after the accident. All barges, flts and dry-docks were secured and the river reopened at 2:13 a.m. Friday.
The Coast Guard is checking for any environmental damage by inspecting facilities, barges and the shoreline.
The Mississippi River is closed near St. Louis again. This time, the problem is several barges that broke loose and collided with some docked barges.
The Coast Guard says it happened around midnight near the confluence with the Missouri River.
Early reports indicate that the accident may have caused a significant oil spill in the river.