If you bought a Powerball ticket in St. Louis County for last night's drawing, you may want to check your numbers as Missouri has a new millionaire.
The winning ticket, worth $2-million, was sold at the Schnucks Market in the 10-thousand block of Manchester Road.
It matched all five white balls which were 6, 9, 11, 31 and 34. It was also subject to the Power Play, which doubled the value of the prize from one million to two million dollars.
The winner has until June 4, 2014 to claim their prize.
It was a little like forced savings, and now Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn is set to get about $74,000 in back pay.
While Illinois lawmakers were battling over the state's $100-billion pension shortfall, the governor used his line-item veto power this summer to halt legislators' salaries, saying they shouldn't get paid until they address the pension crisis.
The Governor also stopped accepting his own paychecks. A judge disagreed with Quinn in September and the state comptroller began issuing checks to lawmakers. But Quinn still didn't accept his own salary.
Lawmakers approved the pension reform plan this week and sent the measure to the Governor on Wednesday. Lee Enterprise newspapers in Springfield reports that Quinn's past pay checks have still not been requested from the comptroller's office.
As the temperatures drop, the risk of fire rises as many people use space heaters to warm their homes and apartments.
A University City house is the site of the latest fatal fire in the area. Fox2 News reports the victim of Tuesday's blaze was 51-year-old Wardie Neely Jr. who lived in the 6700 block of Plymouth Avenue. Just last week, a St. Louis baby died in a fire caused by a space heater.
University City Assistant Fire Chief, David Crismon, is reminding residents to never leave a space heater near anything that could catch fire. Crismon also says it`s not safe to use an extension cord with space heaters.
The assistant chief believes Neely was on the second floor when curtains caught fire. Investigators said the curtains were directly above a natural gas powered space heater.
Crismon said firefighters did not hear any working smoke detectors when they arrived. Many fire departments, including University City, install smoke detectors for free.