CLEVELAND (AP) - A Cleveland man accused of holding three women captive in his home for about a decade has pleaded guilty in a deal to avoid the death penalty.
Ariel Castro entered the plea Friday. In exchange, prosecutors are recommending the 53-year-old Castro be sentenced to life without parole plus 1,000 years.
Castro says a pornography addiction and "sexual problem" have taken a toll on his mind. He also says he was sexually abused as a child.
He had been charged in a 977-count indictment. He is pleading guilty to 937 counts.
He had been scheduled for trial Aug. 5 on allegations that include repeatedly restraining the women and punching and starving one woman until she had a miscarriage.
The women disappeared separately between 2002 and 2004. They escaped from Castro's house May 6.
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's official news agency reports that the state prosecutor has ordered the detention of the ousted president over alleged contacts with Hamas to help in his escape from prison in 2011.
The MENA news agency said Mohammed Morsi has been detained for 15 days for investigation into the charges.
Egypt's military has been holding Morsi in an undisclosed location since deposing him on July 3.
ARLINGTON, Va. (AP) — Catholic Church officials say an employee of a diocese outside Washington, D.C., was among the 80 people who died in the Spain trash crash this week.
The Diocese of Arlington says on its Facebook page that Ana Maria Cordoba, an administrative employee from northern Virginia, died in the wreck.
Catholic News Service, a division of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops, reports that Cordoba, a benefits specialist, was traveling with her husband, Philippe, and her daughter, Christina, a rising high school senior in Arlington.
CNS reports that Philippe and Christina Cordoba were in stable condition at a hospital.
Family members were on their way to see the Cordobas' son, who had completed a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.
Messages left for the diocese late Thursday were not immediately returned.