LAS VEGAS (AP) — President Donald Trump says the federal government is sending $1 million to Las Vegas to help pay law enforcement costs related to last week’s mass killing.
Trump tweeted Wednesday that the grant will help pay for overtime logged by law enforcement officers after the gunman killed 58 people and injured hundreds more.
The Justice Department says the grant comes from emergency response funds within the Bureau of Justice Assistance.
The department says the grant recognizes the hard work and dedication of law enforcement officers who worked tirelessly in the wake of the attack.
Meanwhile, lawyers who filed a lawsuit over the response to the Las Vegas massacre question why police and hotel and concert security officers didn’t act more quickly to stop the gunman.
The lawyers held a news conference Wednesday alongside families of victims in the Oct. 1 shooting that killed 58 concert-goers and wounded hundreds more.
The attorneys want to know why six minutes passed without a police response from the time gunman Stephen Paddock strafed a hallway of the Mandalay Bay hotel with 200 rounds until he started killing people at the concert.
They also are perplexed about how Paddock was able to bring more than 20 rifles into his room without being detected.
Attorney Chad Pinkerton said authorities “should have done a better job and that’s what this lawsuit is about.”