The Missouri Legislative Black Caucus is pushing back against Governor Jay Nixon's plan to change eligibility for food stamps.
State Senator Jamilah Nasheed spoke out at Mount Airy Missionary Baptist Church in North St. Louis. She says 58,000 Missouri adults could lose access to food stamp. Nixon has proposed removing Missouri from a waiver that allows childless adults to receive food stamps without meeting certain work requirements.
Nasheed spoke to Fox 2 News, "This is not the right thing to do. Have compassion for the poor, have a heart for the poor, and we`re going to do everything that we can to reverse this decision."
Nixon defends the decision, saying federal food stamp benefits could decrease.
The Blue Angels are coming to St. Louis next year as part of Navy Week.
The Gateway City will host one of six Navy Weeks in 2014. The events ring from April 28 to May 4, 2014. Among the planned events, an air show with the Blue Angels--who are returning to St. Louis for the first time since 2010-- a demonstration by the Leap Frogs--the Navy Parachute team, and visits to several area schools.
Navy Week is a community outreach program for cities without a significant Navy presence. Other cities selected to host a 2014 Navy Week include Dallas/Fort Worth, Pittsburgh, Omaha, Neb., Mobile, Ala. and Baltimore.
- "Blue Angels," The Navy Flight Demonstration Team
- "Leap Frogs," The Navy Parachute Team
- Navy Divers and or Navy Explosive Ordinance Disposal teams
- Sailors from USS Constitution, the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world
- Navy Band musical performances
- Admirals and other senior Navy leaders, who will engage with local corporate, civic, government and education leaders
- Navy simulator(s) and other interactive displays
- Visits to area schools
- Community service projects and events with local sports franchises
- Visits with local veterans
A local politician is accused of breaking his wife's wrist at their house this week.
Police say that Pagedale board member, James Thomasson got angry with his wife on Monday night, saying he did not like dinner. That is when investigators say Thomasson grabbed his wife by the wrist and twisted. Thomasson's wife drove herself to the hospital and X-rays showed she had a broken wrist.
According to court documents, Thomasson is “an alcoholic and was drunk at the time of the incident.”