Ferguson, MO (KTRS) The city of Ferguson is one step closer to resolving a lawsuit with the Department of Justice.
A first reading of a measure approving an agreement with the DOJ was given at Tuesday night’s city council meeting. Mayor James Knowles says he believes passing the consent decree is what should be done.
“I feel very confident that moving forward in passing the decree at this point is the right move going forward for the city. It allows us to put this lawsuit behind us. It allows us to move forward both on the reforms, but also in bringing the community together.” Knowles said.
Most of the residents who spoke at the city council meeting urged the council to approve the consent decree. Resident Winfred Cochrell had this to say: “The world is watching us, not just Missouri, not just Ferguson. The world is watching and were still bs-ing around. We’re not getting nothing done. We got to get this decree signed. We’ve got to make things better for each other.”
At the end of the meeting a group of activists silently walked around the room, wearing yellow crossing guard vests and holding signs that read “Stop the Racism.”
The council reconsidered the agreement after receiving a letter last week from the DOJ, which addressed the city’s concerns over the costs associated with the consent decree.
The city council is scheduled to vote on the consent decree during a special meeting on March 15th.